Artists’ Safe Haven Intern
Would you like to experience engaging with inspiring artists who are promoting human rights? And would you like to contribute to the protection of artists at risk? Then this might be a great opportunity for you!
Justice & Peace Netherlands is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from individuals who may bring diversity to our team.
To support our Human Rights Defenders team we are looking for an:
Artists’ Safe Haven Intern
32 hours a week
Internship period: February to July 2024
Duration: 6 months
During temporary relocation in the Artists’ Safe Haven initiative, residing artists follow a tailormade programme that typically includes rest, capacity building, network building, artistic outreach and other advocacy and performing activities. Human rights artists staying in The Hague are accommodated by the Artists’ Safe Haven team, including an intern who supports the artist and act as their main point of reference. We are looking for one intern to join our team.
- You will accompany the artist in The Hague and act as their main point of reference and support;
- You will set up their programme in the Netherlands: arrange meetings, wellbeing activities, courses, lectures, and social activities;
- You will organise outreach events such as setting up an exhibition or performance, promoting the artists’ art and their message, networking events and other outreach activities;
- You will accompany them to all meetings and events for support and represent Justice & Peace;
- You will provide practical support during their stay regarding accommodation, public transport, and getting acquainted with the city of The Hague and life in the Netherlands;
- You will support the (logistical) preparations before, during and after the capacity building sessions organised by Justice & Peace in The Hague (preparing materials, booking venues, accommodation, food arrangements, etc.);
- You will remain flexible in case of unexpected adjustments to the agenda or needed support;
- You will perform other tasks relevant to the Artists’ Safe Haven initiative and Justice & Peace.
We are looking for a candidate with the following competences:
- You have a strong affinity with justice and human rights issues and or arts and culture;
- You have an educational background in a discipline related to arts, liberal arts, international relations, human rights, or a field relevant to this position;
- You are an excellent planner who likes to get things done, and is organised and resourceful;
- You have excellent oral and written skills in English;
- You possess and display a high level of sensitivity and knowledge with regard to cultural and other differences (e.g. sexual orientation and gender identity/expression, religion and belief);
- You have the ability to show commitment, flexibility and empathy, but also to set boundaries when needed;
- You are creative, proactive, stress-resistant, a team player, open-minded, and you have a good eye for art;
- You live in the vicinity of The Hague. Knowledge about the artistic scene and social activities in The Hague is considered an asset.
Important note: Hired individuals might be exposed to trauma-sensitive environments.
What we offer:
- A fee of €444,44 gross per month (based on a working week of 32 hours);
- Full reimbursement of travel expenses for daily commute (2nd class public transport).
- A great atmosphere in a small and dedicated team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand;
- The opportunity to meet with and learn from international human rights defenders, artists, organisations and institutions working in the field of human rights, human rights defenders, development, culture and migration.
‘Being an intern at the Artists’ Safe Haven initiative offered me a unique opportunity to get an insight into the art scene of the Netherlands, while working alongside inspiring human rights artists on organising exhibitions, events, and promoting their work. This gave me invaluable knowledge on the role of art in resistance and activism’, Julia, Artists’ Safe Haven intern.
About Justice & Peace
Justice & Peace Netherlands is a human rights NGO based in The Hague that has been working for more than 50 years to promote respect for human rights and social justice, in the Netherlands and internationally. We believe that local change makers are the key to human rights and social justice for everyone, everywhere. To achieve this, we work on pragmatic and result oriented approaches to fulfil and protect human rights. We believe in innovation and through our initiatives Shelter City, Samen Hier, Artists’ Safe Haven, and Activist Lab, we create new ways to effectively tackled those challenges, ensure positive change as well as sustainability and to create real impact.
Are you interested?
Please send a motivation letter and CV by 10th December 2023 to Marjolijn Lampe, creative lead of Artists’ Safe Haven: vacature[@]justiceandpeace.nl, citing ‘Artists’ Safe Haven Intern’. For more information you can email the above address or Julia.email@example.com.
*Candidates must have legal status allowing you to work in the Netherlands immediately. Justice & Peace is unfortunately unable to support you in acquiring this.