Programme Officer – The Hague
Justice and Peace Netherlands is a human rights NGO based in The Hague that has been working to promote respect for human rights, in the Netherlands and internationally, for over 50 years. We believe that local change makers are key to achieving human rights and social justice for everyone, everywhere.
In our Human Rights Defenders Programme we aim to enable human rights defenders worldwide to protect and promote human rights in a safer and more effective manner, thereby contributing to a safer and more enabling environment for all human rights work. We do this through temporary relocation, capacity building and other activities.
To support our team we are looking for a:
32-36 hours, start date as soon as possible, until 31 December 2022 (with possibility of renewal)
Justice & Peace is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from people who may bring diversity to our team.
What will you do?
- Arrange the logistical and practical support before, during and after the stay of the human rights defenders in The Hague;
- Accompany the human rights defenders and act as their main point of reference and support, including the setting up of personalized programmes where relevant;
- Maintain contacts with partner organisations;
- Monitor, evaluate and report on the implementation of the activities;
- Support in the organization of events or other communications activities;
- Other tasks relevant to Justice & Peace.
What is your profile?
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in human rights. Experience in working with human rights defenders is considered an asset;
- An academic or University of Applied Sciences level education in a relevant field, such as international human rights, international relations, political science or international law;
- Excellent planning and organisation skills. You like to get things done and are creative and resourceful;
- Excellent oral and written skills in English. Knowledge of Russian, Ukrainian and/or Belarusian is considered a very strong asset;
- High level of sensitivity and knowledge with regards to the region of Ukraine/Russia/Belarus and its current context is considered a very strong asset;
- Result-oriented, takes initiative, stress resistant, professional, team player, open minded;
- Legal status allowing you to work in the Netherlands immediately. We are unfortunately unable to support you in acquiring this.
What we offer:
- Good and competitive working conditions;
- Full reimbursement of travel expenses to our office building (2nd class public transport);
- 20% discount on your lunches at Juni cafe;
- Stimulating work environment in a small and dedicated team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand;
- A part-time workplace at our office in The Hague city centre. You are expected to be located in the Netherlands for this position;
- The opportunity to make a real change in the lives of human rights defenders at risk.
Send a motivation letter (max. 1 page) and CV (max. 2 pages) before 28 March 2022 to Sebastiaan van der Zwaan, director, via: firstname.lastname@example.org, citing ‘Programme officer’. For more information you can email the above address. We will accept and evaluate applications on a rolling basis, meaning your chances improve significantly if you apply as soon as possible. If we find the right applicant, we may decide to close the vacancy before the deadline.