Internship: Shelter City support interns
Justice and Peace is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from people who may bring diversity to our team.
While in temporary relocation in Shelter City, human rights defenders follow a personalised programme that typically includes capacity building and training courses, rest and relaxation and lobbying and advocacy activities. Human rights defenders staying in The Hague are accommodated by the Justice & Peace Human Rights Defenders team, including Shelter City interns who support the defenders and act as their main point of reference. We are looking for two interns to join our team. Would you like to experience working at human rights NGO in The Hague and getting to know inspiring and courageous human rights defenders? Then this might be a great opportunity for you!
To support our Shelter City team, we are looking for:
Two Shelter City Interns
32-36 hours, from 7 or 14 March to 14 July 2022 (4 months)
What will you do?
- Accompany the human rights defenders in The Hague and act as their main point of reference and support;
- Set up their programme in the Netherlands: arrange (online) network meetings, courses, lectures, and social activities;
- Organise (online) outreach events such as lectures, documentary screenings, high school visits and other outreach events;
- Accompany them to all meetings and events for support and to represent Justice & Peace;
- Provide practical support during their stay regarding accommodation, public transport, and getting acquainted with the city of The Hague and life in the Netherlands;
- Support with the (logistical) preparations before, during and after the trainings organised by Justice & Peace in The Hague (preparing training materials, booking venues, accommodation, food arrangements, etc.);
- Remain flexible in case of unexpected adjustments to the agenda or needed support;
- Other tasks relevant to the Shelter City team and Justice & Peace.
What is your profile?
- Strong affinity with justice and human rights issues;
- Recent graduate or current student at university or applied sciences level, in a discipline related to international human rights, law or other field relevant to this position;
- Excellent planner and organizer who likes to get things done and is creative and resourceful;
- For both positions, we are looking for someone with excellent oral and written skills in English. Additionally, one of the interns should possess excellent oral and written skills in French. Dutch and/or Spanish is considered an asset for the other position;
- Possesses and displays high level of sensitivity and knowledge with regards to cultural and other differences (e.g. sexual orientation and gender identity/expression, religion and belief);
- Ability to show commitment, flexibility and empathy, but also to set boundaries when needed;
- Result-oriented, takes initiative, stress resistant, professional, team player, open minded;
- Living in the vicinities of The Hague is required. Knowledge about life and social activities in The Hague is considered an asset.
What we offer:
- A fee of €400 gross per month (based on a full working week of 36 hours);
- Full reimbursement of travel expenses (2nd class public transport);
- A part-time workplace at our office in The Hague city centre (to the extent possible within the COVID-19 context);
- Good atmosphere in a small and dedicated team, where working hard and having fun go hand-in-hand;
- The opportunity to meet with and learn from international human rights defenders and organisations and institutions working in the field of human rights, human rights defenders, development, and migration.
Send a motivation letter and CV before 21 February 2022 to Maartje Scheijen, Shelter City Programme Officer at vacature[at]justiceandpeace.nl, citing ‘Shelter City Intern’. For more information you can email the above address. Interviews with shortlisted candidates are scheduled to take place in the first week of March.
“The experiences that I gained as an intern in Shelter City have given me insight into the workings of a social justice non-profit as well as the bravery and conviction of the human rights defenders themselves. Working alongside diligent and compassionate professionals who dedicate their efforts to support the defenders has given me practical skills and a greater understanding of how I can contribute to this important work. This has been an enriching opportunity that gave me a better awareness of global human rights protection on a local level.”
– Juliana, former Shelter City intern
About Justice & Peace
Justice and Peace Netherlands is a The Hague-based human rights organisation that has been working for more than 50 years to promote respect for human rights and social justice, in the Netherlands and internationally. We believe that local change makers are the key to human rights and social justice for everyone, everywhere. To achieve this, we work on pragmatic and result oriented approaches to fulfil and protect human rights. We believe in innovation and through our projects and initiatives such as Shelter City and Samen Hier, we create new ways to effectively tackled those challenges, ensure positive change as well as sustainability and to create real impact.